Info/Supplies Needed for Retreat
No one will be allowed to wash their dishes or put food in the refrigerators.
People should bring disposable plates and utensils or plan to take their
dishes home to wash. Bring your own cooler if you need to refrigerate
· Power: Electrical cords and foot pedals for sewing machine,
heavy duty long extension cord, surge protector, etc. You might want to
attach a tag with your name on it.
· Sewing supplies: sewing machine, manual, foot pedal, thread, pins,
scissors, rulers, seam ripper, rotary cutter and rulers.
· Cutting stations will be set up, but you might want to bring your own,
the swivel mat is very handy if you have one.
· NO IRONS! Stations will be set up. The electrical system at the shelter cannot handle more.
· Design wall if you want one, flannel backed tablecloth works well. NO tape will be allowed on the walls, doors or windows. Only Command Strips by 3M can be used to hang your design wall. Use Bullnose clips to clip to your flannel and then hang that on the Command Strip hook. Or cut slits or sew grommets into your flannel to hang directly onto the Command Strip hook.
· Duct tape (bright color) to use on floor for securing cords.
· If each person brings their own little trash bag for their table, that would
lessen the clean up we need to do on Friday. Even a simple brown paper
lunch bag taped beside you will help to keep threads and trimmings off the
floor. You could also pack your stuff in a small wastebasket or bucket, then
have it to use for trash.
· Bring your own chair or at least a cushion for the chairs that are provided
. Your body will thank you. Consider bringing a small plastic folding table if you
have one as an extra; you can set your sewing machine on it or use it for cutting.
A rolling cart or a small dolly is very helpful for loading and unloading your
· Dress in layers. It may be hot, cold or 'just right' in the shelter.
· Parking pass: Each car must have a parking pass for each day. You can obtain them from the visitor's center first thing on Tuesday before coming to the Group Shelter #2. Last year there was also a little kiosk just outside our shelter where you could pay each day. Local libraries have limited weekly passes for Georgia State Parks, which includes parking, that can be requested on the Monday before the retreat.
· Bring your own table setting for lunch and dinner: disposable plates, a bowl, cups with lids, silverware, and napkins.
· Bring one dessert or snack to share (NOT one per day, only one for the entire retreat)
· Magazine exchange - bring magazines you don't want … to swap for some you do.
· Bring a flashlight to get back and forth to the bathroom and your car. It is DARK out there at night!
· Entertainment: the info on games will be sent in another email as well as in the newsletter.
Group Shelter # 1
Red Top Beach Rd
Group Shelter #2
Park Marina Rd
Shelter 1 and 2 have been reserved at Red Top. There are spots open but anyone registering now will not receive a goody bag. This year’s theme will be Food, Fabric, Friends Round 2. There will be no refunds after November.
Melinda Fulkerson will be teaching attendees the One Block Wonder quilt.
- One Block Wonder is unusual as the size is open and can vary from small to very large
- To create you need at least 6 repeats; use selvage to accurately find repeats; she recommends a 24in repeat for project
- Recommends you purchase 5 yards – 6 is even better
- You’re welcome to send fabric sample photos to her before you buy to assure fabric pattern is good for the project; outside the box often creates the most beautiful and original pieces
- There is NO PREWORK prior to Red Top – DO NOT CUT ANY FABRIC PRIOR TO RT; DO NOT CUT REPEATS
- You will need a 60 degree ruler
- There will more info to come; watch emails and newsletter for details